Welcome to ACCJC
The Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC) accredits community colleges and other associate degree granting institutions in the Western region of the U.S. The ACCJC is one of seven regional accrediting commissions. The ACCJC is authorized to operate by the U.S. Department of Education through the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008.
Accreditation is a voluntary system of self regulation developed to evaluate overall educational quality and institutional effectiveness (The Commission’s complete Purpose Statement is available in Article I, section 2 of its Bylaws). The ACCJC accreditation process provides assurance to the public that the accredited member colleges meet the Standards; the education earned at the institutions is of value to the student who earned it; and employers, trade or profession-related licensing agencies, and other colleges and universities can accept a student’s credential as legitimate.
Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
April 23-24, 2015
Thursday (afternoon), April 23 – ALO & CEO Preconference Meetings
Friday (all day), April 24 – ACCJC Accreditation Standards Conference
Thank you for the expressions of interest in the upcoming ACCJC Accreditation Standards Conference. ACCJC is happy to present the new 2014 Accreditation Standards at this special event, resulting from the Review of Accreditation Standards and Practices which concluded earlier this year. Below please find preliminary information for your planning.
ACCJC hopes to open conference registration in mid to late January. At that time, the official agenda, conference registration fees, and a link to make discounted room reservations at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina will be made available. The ALO and CEO meeting registration will be limited to the respective ALO and CEO of each member institution. Due to space limitations at the hotel, it is likely that attendance at the full day conference on Friday will be limited to two people per member institution. If additional space is available following the initial registration period, ACCJC may open the conference to additional attendees.
In addition to the Standards Conference, ACCJC is beginning to plan a larger Annual Conference in the 2015-2016 Academic Year. Attendance is expected to be open to a larger audience from across the region.
Thank you in advance for your interest and participation in these upcoming events. Please stay tuned to the ACCJC website for an announcement that the ACCJC Accreditation Standards Conference Registration has opened.
- Tentative Decision in City Attorney Case Announced
- Commission Announces Restoration for CCSF
- Quick Reference Page on CCSF Matter
- FAQ about Restoration
New on the Website
- The Importance of Accreditation
- Accreditation key force in education innovation
- Partners in oversight assure quality
- USDE Guidelines for Accreditor Recognition
- Challenging Times: Partnership is Key
- ACCJC Receives Formal Letter of Recognition, January 29, 2014
- Successful Recognition Review for ACCJC
- 'Accreditation Basics' online course
- Twelve Common Questions and Answers About Regional Accreditation
- CHEA Almanac Online
- Federal Regulations and National Conversations Impacting Accreditation, SoCal CEO Conference (April 12, 2013)
- Accreditation and Governing Board Roles and Responsibilities
- Guide to Accreditation for Governing Boards, an ACCJC Publication
- NACIQI Final Report on Accreditation (April 2012)
- Alternative to the NACIQI Draft Final Report 2012
- The New Ecology for Higher Education, by Dr. Peter Ewell