Welcome to ACCJC
The Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC) accredits community colleges and other associate degree granting institutions in the Western region of the U.S. The ACCJC is one of seven regional accrediting commissions. The ACCJC is authorized to operate by the U.S. Department of Education through the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008.
Accreditation is a voluntary system of self regulation developed to evaluate overall educational quality and institutional effectiveness (The Commission’s complete Purpose Statement is available in Article I, section 2 of its Bylaws). The ACCJC accreditation process provides assurance to the public that the accredited member colleges meet the Standards; the education earned at the institutions is of value to the student who earned it; and employers, trade or profession-related licensing agencies, and other colleges and universities can accept a student’s credential as legitimate.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS AND ACCREDITATION STANDARDS
ADOPTED AT THE JUNE 2014 COMMISSION MEETING
At its June 2014 meeting, in Public Session, the Accrediting Commission adopted revised Eligibility Requirements and Accreditation Standards. The adoption culminated the Review of Accreditation Standards and Practices that began in November, 2011, and resulted in identification of needed revisions to standards in June 2013.
The new Standards will be the basis for comprehensive institutional evaluations for reaffirmation of accreditation beginning spring 2016. The new Standards will, for all other purposes, be effective upon adoption, and may be used by institutions wishing to develop a baccalaureate degree. An annotated version of the Standards will be developed, to link relevant regulations and Commission policies with standards. A glossary of terms will also be included with the annotated version.
- Quick Reference Page on CCSF Matter
- ACCJC Accepts CCSF's Application for Restoration Status
- Full text Policy (including Section V, Restoration)
- ACCJC Statement and Policy Language on Restoration Status, Updated June 20, 2014
New on the Website
- Press Statement: ACCJC Statement regarding AB1942
- Press Statement: ACCJC Statement in Response to the LA Times Article of August 22, 2014
- Comment on State Auditor's Report on Accreditation
- The Importance of Accreditation
- Accreditation key force in education innovation
- Partners in oversight assure quality
- USDE Guidelines for Accreditor Recognition
- Challenging Times: Partnership is Key
- ACCJC Receives Formal Letter of Recognition, January 29, 2014
- Successful Recognition Review for ACCJC
- 'Accreditation Basics' online course
- Twelve Common Questions and Answers About Regional Accreditation
- CHEA Almanac Online
- ACCJC Presentation, Proficiency in SLOs Case Study, and Accrediting-Related Board Policies, CCCT Conference (May 3, 2013)
- Federal Regulations and National Conversations Impacting Accreditation, SoCal CEO Conference (April 12, 2013)
- Accreditation and Governing Board Roles and Responsibilities
- Guide to Accreditation for Governing Boards, an ACCJC Publication
- NACIQI Final Report on Accreditation (April 2012)
- Alternative to the NACIQI Draft Final Report 2012
- The New Ecology for Higher Education, by Dr. Peter Ewell