Welcome to ACCJC
The Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC) accredits community colleges and other associate degree granting institutions in the Western region of the U.S. (California, Hawai'i, the Territories of Guam and American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Republic of Palau, the Federated States of Micronesia, and the Republic of the Marshall Islands). The ACCJC is one of seven regional accrediting commissions. The ACCJC is authorized to operate by the U.S. Department of Education through the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008.
The U.S. peer evaluation system of accreditation is one in which institutions voluntarily participate in self regulation and self evaluation developed to ensure overall educational quality and institutional effectiveness (The Commission's complete Purpose Statement is available in Article I, section 2 of its Bylaws). The ACCJC accreditation process provides assurance to the public that the accredited member colleges meet the Standards; the education earned at the institutions is of value to the student who earned it; and employers, trade or profession-related licensing agencies, and other colleges and universities can accept a student's credential as legitimate.
Preliminary Open Session Agenda
11/22/2016 The January meeting of the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges will take place January 11-13, 2017. The Open Session will be held January 13, 2017, beginning at 1:15 p.m.
View Preliminary Open Session Agenda.
The 2017 ACCJC Inaugural Conference will explore the multiple ways in which we work together to ensure that each student’s experience is truly outstanding. This year’s agenda will feature multiple formats for learning, including plenary sessions featuring prominent speakers with a national perspective, concurrent break-out sessions, focus sessions and workshops.
Click here to the view the conference website, read the Call for Presentations, find out about sponsorships, register for the conference, and more!
Call for Proposals: Executive Search Firm
The Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC) is issuing a Request for Proposals (RFP) for the services of an Executive Search Firm to assist the Board of Directors of ACCJC in identifying potential candidates for the position of President and CEO of ACCJC. Click here to download the RFP.
CHEA Recognition Renewed
At its meeting of September 28, 2016, the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) Board of Directors renewed the recognition of ACCJC for four years. The Board acted on the recommendation of the Committee on Recognition, which recommended renewal after its meeting on July 25, 2016. ACCJC will submit a report to CHEA on March 1, outlining its progress in changes to practices and relations with member institutions. Then, ACCJC’s next application for recognition will be due in 2019-20 academic year.
Becoming a Visiting Team Evaluator
New Accreditation Basics Online Training Course
Work Group 1 held first meeting in September
Executive Committee announces President Beno's retirement
Council of Regional Accrediting Agencies announces expanded review of institutions with low graduation rates
ITT Closure Information
ACCJC’s response and the CEO’s Preliminary Report to the Accrediting Commission
for Community and Junior Colleges
CEO’s Preliminary Report to the Accrediting Commission for Community
and Junior Colleges
- California Community College CEOs Partnering with Accreditor to Strengthen Accreditation
- Announcement of Commission Listening Sessions
- Comment on ACCJC Special Meeting
New on the Website
- 2014 Accreditation Standards Orientation for ALOs
- ACCJC Informational Webinar Series – Baccalaureate
- Statement of the ACCJC re Board of Governors Resolution March 22, 2016
- USDE Final Decision Letter March 2016
- ACCJC Webinar Changing Accreditation: Consequences and Fact Checking
- Questions and Answers About Membership in a Regional Accrediting Commission
- USDE Decision on ACCJC Appeal
- NACIQI Action on ACCJC – Corrected Recognition Continued
- CCLC Presentation Nov 19, 2015: New standards and practices
- CCLC Presentation Nov 19, 2015: Standards with new areas highlighted
- Quick Reference Page on CCSF
- The Importance of Accreditation
- Accreditation key force in education innovation
- Partners in oversight assure quality
- USDE Guidelines for Accreditor Recognition
- Challenging Times: Partnership is Key
- ACCJC’s response and the CEO’s Preliminary Report to the Accrediting Commission