Welcome to ACCJC
The Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC) accredits community colleges and other associate degree granting institutions in the Western region of the U.S. The ACCJC is one of seven regional accrediting commissions. The ACCJC is authorized to operate by the U.S. Department of Education through the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008.
The U.S. peer evaluation system of accreditation is one in which institutions voluntarily participate in self regulation and self evaluation developed to ensure overall educational quality and institutional effectiveness (The Commission’s complete Purpose Statement is available in Article I, section 2 of its Bylaws). The ACCJC accreditation process provides assurance to the public that the accredited member colleges meet the Standards; the education earned at the institutions is of value to the student who earned it; and employers, trade or profession-related licensing agencies, and other colleges and universities can accept a student’s credential as legitimate.
ACCJC News – Changes in Accreditation Practice
The Spring/Summer edition of the ACCJC News contains articles about
changes in accreditation practice which are being implemented in
response to input from the field. Please click on Newsletter in the
left column to see the Spring/Summer 2015 ACCJC News.
ACCJC News Special Edition
We invite you to check out a special edition of the ACCJC News,
featuring student learning outcomes projects at sixteen member
institutions. Read their stories and see samples of their project
work in this extended-length edition. Also visit the 8-10 minute
webinars from each college about their project on the NILOA website.
Q&A from ACCJC Symposium
The ACCJC has posted materials from the ACCJC Accreditation Standards
Symposium, including the presentation slides with answers to questions
asked by participants. In addition, answers to a number of questions from
audience members which were not addressed during the Symposium are
being posted as they are completed. Please click on Other Resources
in the left column to see Symposium materials that are posted.
- Changes in accreditation practice
- Focusing beyond compliance to quality improvement
- Notice to field about a Special Meeting regarding Accreditation Task Force Report
- Member institutions talk about accreditation
New on the Website
- Phil Ting Op-Ed Piece Has Facts Wrong
- Quick Reference Page on CCSF
- The Importance of Accreditation
- Accreditation key force in education innovation
- Partners in oversight assure quality
- USDE Guidelines for Accreditor Recognition
- Challenging Times: Partnership is Key
- 'Accreditation Basics' online course
- Twelve Common Questions and Answers About Regional Accreditation
- CHEA Almanac Online
- Accreditation and Governing Board Roles and Responsibilities
- Guide to Accreditation for Governing Boards, an ACCJC Publication
- The New Ecology for Higher Education, by Dr. Peter Ewell