Welcome to ACCJC
The Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC) accredits community colleges and other associate degree granting institutions in the Western region of the U.S. The ACCJC is one of seven regional accrediting commissions. The ACCJC is authorized to operate by the U.S. Department of Education through the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008.
Accreditation is a voluntary system of self regulation developed to evaluate overall educational quality and institutional effectiveness (The Commission’s complete Purpose Statement is available in Article I, section 2 of its Bylaws). The ACCJC accreditation process provides assurance to the public that the accredited member colleges meet the Standards; the education earned at the institutions is of value to the student who earned it; and employers, trade or profession-related licensing agencies, and other colleges and universities can accept a student’s credential as legitimate.
Q&A from ACCJC Symposium
The ACCJC has posted materials from the ACCJC Accreditation Standards Symposium, including the presentation slides with answers to questions asked by participants. In addition, answers to a number of questions from audience members which were not addressed during the Symposium are being posted as they are completed. Please click on Other Resources in the left column to see Symposium materials that are posted.
The Spring/Summer edition of the ACCJC News contains articles about changes in accreditation practice which are being implemented in response to input from the field. Please click on Newsletter in the left column to see the Spring/Summer 2015 ACCJC News.
ACCJC News Special Edition
We invite you to check out a special edition of the ACCJC News, featuring student learning outcomes projects at sixteen member institutions. Read their stories and see samples of their project work in this extended-length edition. Also visit the 8-10 minute webinars from each college about their project on the NILOA website.
- Commission Action under Injunction Process
- Appellate Court Determines CFT Lawsuit Issues Are Moot
- Quick Reference Page on CCSF
- FAQ about Restoration
New on the Website
- Phil Ting Op-Ed Piece Has Facts Wrong
- Heald College Began Withdrawal from ACCJC in 2010
- Member Institutions Invited to Meet with Heald College Students
- The Importance of Accreditation
- Accreditation key force in education innovation
- Partners in oversight assure quality
- USDE Guidelines for Accreditor Recognition
- Challenging Times: Partnership is Key
- 'Accreditation Basics' online course
- Twelve Common Questions and Answers About Regional Accreditation
- CHEA Almanac Online
- Accreditation and Governing Board Roles and Responsibilities
- Guide to Accreditation for Governing Boards, an ACCJC Publication
- The New Ecology for Higher Education, by Dr. Peter Ewell