Welcome to ACCJC
The Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC) accredits community colleges and other associate degree granting institutions in the Western region of the U.S. The ACCJC is one of seven regional accrediting commissions. The ACCJC is authorized to operate by the U.S. Department of Education through the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008.
Accreditation is a voluntary system of self regulation developed to evaluate overall educational quality and institutional effectiveness (The Commission’s complete Purpose Statement is available in Article I, section 2 of its Bylaws). The ACCJC accreditation process provides assurance to the public that the accredited member colleges meet the Standards; the education earned at the institutions is of value to the student who earned it; and employers, trade or profession-related licensing agencies, and other colleges and universities can accept a student’s credential as legitimate.
Comment on first reading revisions to Eligibility Requirements and Standards approved by the Commission in January 2014 is invited through April 30, 2014. The revisions are based upon input received during the Review of Accreditation Standards and Practices that began November 2011. The cover memorandum below provides more information about the review process and summarizes changes made to the Accreditation Standards.
- Cover Memorandum
- Comment Form (DOCX Microsoft Word file.*)
- First Reading Eligibility Requirements
- First Reading Accreditation Standards
* Save the form on your computer before completing.
Three public hearings will be held for the purpose of receiving oral and written comment from the field on the revisions to Eligibility Requirements and Accreditation Standards. Details about our host locations and hearing times will be posted closer to the time of each event:
Tuesday, March 11, 2014 Honolulu, Hawaii
2:30 – 4:30 p.m., Hyatt Regency Waikiki (Diamond Head Tower, Kou Ballroom)
Monday, April 28, 2014 Sylmar, California Wednesday, April 30, 2014 Sacramento, California Please let us know of your expected attendance. Call (415) 506-0234 or email email@example.com.
- Commissioner Nominations Sought
- Challenging Times: Partnership is Key
- ACCJC Receives Formal Letter of Recognition, January 29, 2014
- ACCJC comments on litigation, January 14, 2014
- Successful Recognition Review for ACCJC
- 'Accreditation Basics' online course
- Twelve Common Questions and Answers About Regional Accreditation
- CHEA Almanac Online
- ACCJC Presentation, Proficiency in SLOs Case Study, and Accrediting-Related Board Policies, CCCT Conference (May 3, 2013)
- Federal Regulations and National Conversations Impacting Accreditation, SoCal CEO Conference (April 12, 2013)
- Accreditation and Governing Board Roles and Responsibilities
- Guide to Accreditation for Governing Boards, an ACCJC Publication
- NACIQI Final Report on Accreditation (April 2012)
- Alternative to the NACIQI Draft Final Report 2012
- USDE Guidelines for Accreditor Recognition
- The New Ecology for Higher Education, by Dr. Peter Ewell